I’m sure most of us have experienced dull or dry skin at some point or another. After all, glowing and radiant skin is what most of us strive for. The term “radiant skin” is thrown around a lot, but what does it actually mean? How can you achieve radiant skin?
Well thankfully, it’s not as impossible as it seems. While reviving dull skin may require some extra work, it’s definitely worth it in the end.
However, in order to restore your skins health and glow, we need to understand what causes dull skin in the first place. So what causes dull skin and what can you do to help revive it? What are some popular treatments that can help restore your skin’s natural glow?
1. What Causes Dull Skin?
The term “dull skin” is thrown around a lot, but what does it actually mean? Well, in short, dull skin is skin that doesn’t look bright or radiant—in fact, it may appear lackluster or flat. But what causes dull skin in the first place?
Well, dull skin can be caused by a number of different factors. This includes:
- Dead Skin Cells: We shed millions of skin cells a day, so unless you do something to actively remove the ones that don’t fall off naturally, you’re going to have a grayish look no matter your skin tone. Unless you exfoliate and remove this build up of dead skin, your skin will continue looking dull.
- A Polluted Environment: Polluted air contains a host of tiny particles, like dirt and sulfur dioxide, that create free radicals on skin. Free radicals damage collagen and stimulate pigment production over time. This causes your skin to look dull.
- Dehydration: We all know how important it is to stay hydrated for our health, but dehydration has a huge impact on your skin as well. Loss of hydration from below the skin’s surface causes a decrease in the thickness of the skin, which in turn makes it look dull and lifeless.
These are only a few common reasons why your skin may look dull. Some additional reasons include hormone imbalance, stress, and aging. So now that we understand why your skin looks dull, let’s move onto how you can fix it.
As I mentioned above, a build-up of dead skin cells is one of the main culprits of dull skin. So how can you get rid of all these dead skin cells? Well, the answer is by exfoliating.
Your complexion looks radiant when it’s smooth enough to reflect light, plain and simple. Make sure to exfoliate once or twice a week. It’s best to exfoliate at night, rather than in the morning, so you can get rid of all the gunk that builds up on your face during the day.
Scrubs with sugar or jojoba esters are mild enough for even sensitive skin, and grainy scrubs with pulverized nut shells are good for everyone else.
Another exfoliation option is a chemical peel, which helps revive and rejuvenate the skin. Body Lyft offers a wide variety of chemical peels including:
- Lightening Lyft: This combines botanical brighteners and luminescence to leave the skin looking younger and luminous. Great for uneven complexions and dull skin.
- 02 Lyft: This treatment infuses oxygen, plant-derived stem cells, peptides, and enzymatic botanicals into your skin leaving it luminous, refreshed, and rejuvenated.
- Perfection Lyft: The blend of exfoliation agents are combined with antioxidants, peptides, and plant-derived stem cells to create “perfection” while treating advanced pigmentation, acne, and aging.
The best way to combat dull skin is by exfoliating, so treat your skin with a chemical peel or exfoliate with scrubs once or twice a week.
3. Moisturize and Hydrate
As I mentioned above, hydration and moisturization are crucial when it comes to ensuring your skin is radiant and healthy.
Moisturizing should be part of your daily skincare routine morning and night after cleansing or using a face mask. As an extra step, pat on a hyaluronic acid serum with damp fingers to drive moisture deep into the skin. Having a solid and consistent skincare routine will help combat against dull and dry skin.
Additionally, you should be drinking water throughout the day in order to ensure your skin stays hydrated. You should aim to drink 8 to 12 glasses of water a day.
If you aren’t really a water drinker, start small with only a few glasses a day and work your way up. Hydration is important for both your skin and your health, so drink water! Your skin will thank you.
All in all dull skin can be caused by many things, but the primary culprite is a build-up of dead skin cells. So make sure to exfoliate, stay hydrated, and moisturize. Your skin will thank you later!
Interested in experiencing the benefits of Body Lyft’s Chemical Peels for yourself? Get in contact with us! The Body Lyft System provides customized treatment protocols for all ages and body types based on each individual’s needs, thus ensuring the highest opportunity for results at costs more inexpensive than a personal trainer. Body Lyft System uses Image Skincare products and our estheticians can recommend a product that can help get the glow back in your skin!
Not only do we offer treatments to improve your body’s overall appearance, but we also offer skin care treatments including derma-plane, facials, chemical peels, organic peels, micro-needling, LED Light Therapy, and more.