Pharmaceutical Grade Skincare vs OTC Skincare

Pharmaceutical Grade Skincare vs OTC Skincare

When it comes to skincare, determining what products to buy or what treatments to use can be pretty overwhelming. Most of us end up settling for over the counter products (OTC) that may or may not produce the results we are looking for.

We all want the best results when it comes to skincare, but we also don’t want to break our bank trying products that may not even work.

So what’s the truth about pharmaceutical grade skincare vs OTC skincare? What’s the difference between medical grade skincare and OTC skincare? Is it worth investing in pharmaceutical grade skincare?

1. The Difference: Pharmaceutical Grade

First, let’s talk about pharmaceutical grade skincare. Known for their high concentration of active ingredients, medical grade skincare products are formulated to reach the deepest levels of the skin.

So why does this matter? Well, products that work below the surface area of the skin produce amazing results, including:

  • Skin cell turn over
  • Collagen
  • Elastin productions
  • Reduction of fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, acne scarring, and problematic areas

Because of the high concentration of active ingredients in medical-grade skincare products, they go through many clinical tests and studies. Before a product or treatment is released, it goes through years of clinical research in order to ensure that it is safe and effective.

So any pharmaceutical grade product must have scientific evidence that it does what is advertised. Which is why you can trust that medical grade skincare products and treatments will produce REAL results.

2. The Difference: Over The Counter (OTC)

So what exactly is OTC skincare? Well, as the name suggests, it’s Over-the-counter skin care products that are accessible through drug and retail stores “over the counter.” Basically, these products allow you to self-diagnose your skincare issues and choose which product you think will worm best.

However, most of us don’t really know the root cause of our skincare issues, let alone which products or ingredients would be effective in treating these issues.

So why can we buy OTC products in drug stores and not medical grade products? Well,  OTC products contain a very low level of active ingredients. In fact, a study found that 90% of the contents found in OTC products consist of water and filler, leaving the remaining 10% to treat your skin.

Additionally, in order to get medical grade skin care, you must have your skin evaluated by a medical professional.

So are OTC products effective? Well, the short answer is not really. These products rarely penetrate even the outermost layer of your skin, which leaves the active ingredients sitting on top of dead skin cells! In order to get true and lasting results, you need products that will penetrate the deepest level of the skin.

Additionally, OTC products aren’t required to go through clinical testing, which means the results they are advertising can’t be proven.

3. Quality and Quantity

Overall, the biggest difference between OTC skincare and Pharmaceutical grade skincare comes down to quality and quantity.

Medical grade skin care products not only have better quality, but they also come with a higher quantity of active ingredients. For example, medical grade products have a more stable form and higher concentration which ultimately means better results.

However, OTC products not only have less active ingredients, but they also have a lower quality of active ingredients. So basically, the full strength of the product is lost before it even penetrates the skin.

The Takeaway

All in all, the main difference between OTC skincare and pharmaceutical grade skincare comes down to the results. Medical grade products are much higher in quality, and therefore produce better results.

Interested in experiencing the benefits of Body Lyft’s Facials for yourself? Get in contact with us! The Body Lyft System provides customized treatment protocols for all ages and body types based on each individual’s needs, thus ensuring the highest opportunity for results at costs more inexpensive than a personal trainer. Body Lyft System uses Image Skincare products and our estheticians can recommend a product that can help get the glow back in your skin! 

Not only do we offer treatments to improve your body’s overall appearance, but we also offer skin care treatments including dermaplane, facials, chemical peels, organic peels, micro-needling, LED Light Therapy, and more.

Comments are closed.

Body Lyft System

(317) 569-0767

Call us today!

Opening Hours

Mon - Fri: 9:00 am - 8:00pm Saturday: 9:00 am - 6:00pm

Free Consultation

info@bodylyftsystem.com