We all know the importance of hydration for health, but water also has amazing effects on our skin. After all, your skin is an organ and requires proper hydration to function properly. When you don’t drink enough water, your skin will appear dry, tight, and flaky.
Most celebrities claim the secret to maintaining radiant, healthy looking skin is proper hydration, and honestly… they aren’t wrong! Water plays such a major role in both skin health and overall health, so it’s important to practice proper hydration. So why is hydration so important for skin health? How can you make sure your body is getting enough water?
1. The Benefits of Drinking Water
First, let’s talk about the main benefits of drinking water for your skin. As I mentioned above, drinking water is crucial when it comes to skincare.
Some of the main benefits of drinking water include:
- Increased Elasticity: As we age, our skin elasticity slowly decreases. However, you can delay this process by making sure your skin is properly hydrated. Proper hydration helps delay the appearance of signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines. Additionally, water is essential to maintain the optimum skin moisture and deliver essential nutrients to the skin cells.
- Anit-Aging: Water is a perfect replacement for your expensive anti-aging treatments. It keeps the skin well hydrated and glistening, thereby, enhancing the complexion. For soft and supple skin, drinking an adequate amount of water is more important than applying topical creams.
- Combats Skin Disorders: Drinking enough water combats skin disorders like psoriasis, wrinkles, and eczema. It also increases the metabolic rate and improves the digestive system to flush out toxins from the body. This, in turn, gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
- Decreases Breakouts: Not only does drinking water help reduce signs of aging, but it also helps decrease breakouts! Proper hydration helps to decrease the concentration of oil on your skin. If the skin is too heavily covered in oil relative to water, this can lead to clogged pores with acne breakouts and blemishes.
These are only a few of the effects water has on your skin. After all, the benefits of drinking water are practically endless!
2. How to Make Sure Your Skin is Properly Hydrated
So now that we know more about the importance of drinking water, let’s talk about how to make sure your skin is properly hydrated. After all, skin that’s lacking moisture will look dull and flaky.
Here are a few steps you can take to make sure your skin will always have a healthy glow:
- Moisturizer: While drinking water is a key part of skin hydration, that doesn’t mean you should stop moisturizing. Apply a hydrating moisturizer within 2 minutes of leaving the bath or shower. The skin is still porous and is vulnerable to products that are applied following the bath or shower, allowing better absorption.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Prior to your moisturizer, you should apply water-attracting ingredients like hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is an amazing hydration that can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water. This means that it can attract water to your skin and hold it there, giving it a more youthful glow.
- Drink Water: Finally, one of the best ways to make sure your skin is properly hydrated is to drink water. Drinking at least 8 glasses a day will help rid the body and skin of toxins. If you aren’t used to drinking that much water in a day, start small and work your way up. Once you make drinking water a habit, and you begin to see the benefits for yourself, it will be much easier to drink 8 classes a day.
Benefits of Drinking Water Summary
All in all, proper hydration is a key component of skin health. By making sure you are drinking enough water, and practicing a proper skincare routine, you can make sure your skin will always have a healthy glow.
Interested in restoring that healthy glow back to your skin? Get in contact with us! The Body Lyft System provides customized treatment protocols for all ages and body types based on each individual’s needs, thus ensuring the highest opportunity for results at costs more inexpensive than a personal trainer. Body Lyft System uses Image Skincare products and our estheticians can recommend a product that can help get the glow back in your skin!
Not only do we offer treatments to improve your body’s overall appearance, we also offer skin care treatments including derma-plane, facials, chemical peels, organic peels, micro-needling, LED Light Therapy, and more.